Friday, January 4, 2013

Ready.Set.Go.

Well, it's finally here.  Ever since high school I have wanted to do a humanitarian project.  Because of school and work I kept putting it off.  Finally at the beginning of last year I decided I was going to do it.  I didn't care if I had to quit my job, sell my car, live off of credit cards, I was going to do it.  I started researching different companies when I came across Cross Cultural Solutions.  They have projects all over the world and seemed reliable.  I decided on the program they had in Cartago, Costa Rica.  I'll be gone from January 12-February 3. 

When I started talking to people about going they all told me I was crazy.  I thought my mother was going to have a melt down.  When I told my bosses I was expecting to have to quit and reapply when I got back.  Luckily all of them were supportive and excited for me.  Zions ended up letting me take a leave of absence, and I get to come back to my same job.  I am so blessed to have a job that will work with me.

Everyone has been asking me to email them pictures and updates on how I am, so I figured a blog would be the best way everyone can see what I am doing. Mostly though, I'm doing this for myself.  I know I am going to want to remember every minute of this once in a lifetime experience. I'm only there three weeks, and I know it's going to go fast.  This is going to be a journal for me. 

Yesterday I got my official assignment of what I will be doing when I get there.  I will be serving in a daycare for children with working single mothers.  When I got the email I about started crying.  I grew up with a single mom. I had family to watch me while my mom worked, but I feel like this assignment is exactly where I need to be.  I feel like I already have a connection with those kids.  I can't wait to get there.

Once I get there I'll live in a house with all the other volunteers.  I am terrified to say the least.  I have never been out of the country, let alone by myself. I finally officially signed up in May, and I remember thinking, January is so far away.  Now it's here, and it's unreal.  I feel like I'm not ready.  There are so many things I need to do.  I keep making random lists on my phone of things I need to get done.  This next week will be busy!

I just wanted to say a quick thank you to my amazing mom.  I know this is stressing her out to have her only child leave the country for three weeks. She's been so willing to help me with anything I need to get and she helped me pay for my flight.  You're amazing Mommy.  I looooves you!!

-Racheejb

1 comment:

  1. I am so excited for you. What a great opportunity. God Bless you!

    ReplyDelete