After almost 24 hours in airports I finally made it here. The company I am with picked me and 4 other volunteers up at the same time. Driving in their streets is terrifying. No one stops for pedestrians. They merge lanes whenever they want. They honk at nothing. It's definitely different than in the United States. The Internet was down when we got here. I was sure my mother was freaking out. By the time the internet worked this morning I had a couple frantic emails from her.
Our house in Cartago is about 40 minutes from the airport. When we got here we got a tour of the house and we got to see our rooms. Most of the house is completely open to the outside. Our windows in our room are even open all the time. Cartago is a mountain town and I love it. Last night we were walking to get ice cream and it smelled just like Utah. It made me miss home so much! This is going to be a long 3 weeks if I am already thinking like that. :)
Every morning we wake up at 6:00am. You all know I am definitely not a morning person. Keep in mind 6am is 5am Utah time. Breakfast is served from 6:30-7:15 then we leave for our placements. We stay there from about 8-12. Once we come back we eat lunch and then do some sort of activity. Today was dancing class. Tomorrow is cooking class. Today was more of an orientation day. We took a tour of the city, learned about Costa Rica, and learned more about our placements. Tomorrow will be my first actual day at the daycare. I found out today I'll have 10 kids ages 3-7 that I have to entertain for 4 hours in the space of a small bedroom. That should be interesting!
I'm still trying to figure out this whole blog thing so I'm sorry all the pictures are at the end. Some are from the house, the town, and flying in on the plane.
-racheejb












No comments:
Post a Comment